"Don't let mental lions keep you from experiencing everything God has to offer. The greatest breakthroughs in your life will happen when you push through the fear. The defining moments will double as the scariest decisions."
When John came back from Uganda last year he was so in love with the people, so at home in Uganda, so passionate for the ministry that he asked me to go on the next trip. Flippantly I said "yes" . Wanting to come alongside and understand this ministry and be his helper in what God was calling him to do. Also thinking it was such a long ways away that I had time to prepare myself and work through my fears. Well God has prepared me this year! Every book I have read, every study I have gone through, every conversation I have seemed to have had has in some way prepared me for this trip!
This trip is a HUGE RISK for me and I am not a risk taker usually. I am a cautious, over thinking cub scout (alway prepared). I like to prepare myself for every possible disaster so that Im not caught off guard. I tend to assume the worst and fear things like flying, illness, my kids being injured and I am too far to be there. I make excuses as to why I can't or shouldn't take a risk! But by Gods grace He has revealed some pretty amazing things this last year. He has reminded me time and time again that a life that TRULY LIVES for CHRIST is RISKY!! Every character in Gods Word took a risk...stepped outside their comfort zone and did something truly outrageous! Fought a Giant, confronted the King, gave birth to the son of God, denied the Queen, battled a lion and won, refused to worship an idol, stoned, beaten, thrown into prison!
I dont take enough Risks for Christ. I don't display my absolute, unconditional, unending Faith and devotion to my True King like I should. I don't tell Him "It's you and nothing else!" "All else aside Im in this for YOU! For your Glory, Your Honor, Your Kingdom!" " No more Excuses God...Im willing to risk it all!"
So here I am boys.....taking the biggest risk I have taken in my 27 years (i know seems lame but true)...packing up my bags, saying goodbye to my beautiful babies (scared), flying way too long (scared), taking pills to prevent illness (risk), speaking Gods Word in a dangerous part of the world(risk), ALL FOR CHRIST AND CHRIST ALONE (WORTH IT)!
I do not write this to say "hey, Look at me, Look at me! Look what I am doing!" But to confess that I have been too safe, too cautious, too unfaithful.
and it may seem strange to some cause this isn't risky enough for them....I mean lets be honest so many have gone before me...so many do not fear trips like this but see it as a fun filled adventure full of uncertainties and excitement!
I write this so that I , my boys and others may know that this trip is my Lion, it feels dangerous, uncertain, uncomfortable and risky to me. To be honest not a trip I have been looking forward to. But for no other reason than to proclaim....."You alone are Worthy! I risk all my silly fears, my anxious thoughts, my life for the sake of Christ! Be GLORIFIED!"
In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy day
by: Mark Batterson
"You have to face your fears or they will hold you back forever"
"Courage is doing what is right regardless of circumstance or consequence"
"I think our greatest regrets will be the God-ordained risks we didn't take"
"Our ultimate destiny is determined by whether or not we seize the God-ordained opportunities presented to us, if we seize those opportunities, the dominos continue to fall and create a chain reaction."
"I want to seize the opportunity the first time it is presented"
"Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning"
6 comments:
Wow - I am right there with you. It's so hard to remember that it's not about us, isn't it?? I am and will be praying for you guys!!
So good to see God doing a work but I know its tough. I'll be right there beside you pointing out all the adventure, fun and excitement and God will reign and we will both be overwhelmed by Him. And your Dad and your Man will be the ever present hover-cover team for you I am sure. And don't think I don't have enough mama bear in me to take care of anyone under 30 that looks threatened. But it you could keep that part to yourself so that Dann can have a little peace...so much the better!
The oddity of it all is that life IS risk. Everyday we live under the illusion of safety, that if we play all our cards right, do this, don't do that, then safety is guaranteed us. It is so freeing to realize that we are no more safe at 35k feet over the sahara desert than we are on the 101 at Johnson Dr. We are no more secure in a remote village in east-central Africa than we are at the local gas station on Petit and Telephone...even our own kitchen.
God's plans prevail over man's evil and circumstances. What a way to live, huh? I love your heart...
I'm proud of you for being willing to step out despite the fears. So many miss out on the greatest blessings and experiences of life with God simply because they are afraid. I know God is going to bless you beyond what you could imagine for your obedience.
I love you, Susan
Cannot WAIT to hear all about everything. Will be thinking and praying for you guys and your families.
This is so amazing...hope you don't mind, but I shared it with the ladies at our retreat on Sat. I was speaking about faith and how scary it is sometimes to step out into the unknown. To follow God's plans when everyone around you thinks it's crazy or stupid or "Risky." Of course I cried...I'm so proud of you and the group. God's blessing, provision and protection will be yours in your sacrificial walk! Mom
Post a Comment