Monday, September 14, 2009

2,557 days and I just have to say...



Cristin...

2,556 days have passed since we exchanged vows under a mid September sunset. And I can say with absolute confidence, I am more in love with you today than ever before. It just keeps getting better. Some men spend their entire lives chasing beauty. They run here and there, always looking, never finding. Never satisfied and as such, never ready to settle down. They look for it in outward appearances and what culture tells them is "beautiful". It's a pity. You are the most beautiful woman I know, and that's not based on cultural norms or popular opinions on beauty. It's based on God's own standard...the Original Majestic.
You are a giver, and from time to time you get burned because of it, because people don't know what to do with givers. But you persevere and press on, because when it comes to you, faithfulness to your Savior is more important than anything else, even being liked by another. That's beautiful. You understand that sometimes Love means you don't say anything at all. Rather than take part in foolish arguments about God's Word or the Christian Faith, you'd rather just quietly give of yourself and let your actions speak. That's beautiful. You're honest. Not just in a 'truth-telling' sense, but in your living. You don't sugar coat or hold back. When you want to just lay back and eat your feelings, you say it with confidence. (And I know the recipe: if it's chocolate, tall glass of milk, probably two...if it's salty, Dr. Pepper, fountain ONLY, soft ice preferable). You live and act simply, and that's beautiful. You wear my old t-shirts just because, and you usually look better in them than I do. I can't explain it, but even the big ones fit better on you. That's beautiful...and pretty hot! You beautify everything with your sense of style. With our house (small as it may be now), you truly make it a home with all your little touches. I love coming home to our bedroom. Everything your hand touches turns beautiful. That's beautiful. With clothing, you can pick out the most outrageous thing, that I never would have dreamed of, and turn it into something magnificent. I can't tell if you decorate the clothes or if the clothes decorate you. But when you ask my opinion in the thrift store and I shake my head no, I love that you buy it anyway...and I'm always proven wrong. That's beautiful. You love our boys passionately. Rather than raise star athletes or CEOs or celebrities...you want to raise two men who know their God. All else is static. That is beautiful. You make my lunches everyday. Nobody really asked, you just do because you know it's a small way to let me know I'm loved. That's beautiful. Feminists ruin your attitude. Yes, that's beautiful. You pray and often cry warm tears, just because you don't feel that you're the woman of God you should be. You love Him so, so dearly. He is answering your prayer. It's beautiful to see. You're fun. Everyone knows it. When I go to church without you it's..."Hey John, where's Cristin?" I'm not ashamed to say it. You're my better half. That's beautiful. You don't realize your impact. Humility in love defines you. That's beautiful. You long to be strategic in our next home's location, just so we can move next door to people who don't know Jesus...yet. You initiate Sunday drives through town with the boys, praying out loud for God to provide us a house, just because you want them to see Him do it. That's beautiful. When you pray, you pray simply. Nothing fancy, just talking with your Lover. That's beautiful. Your heart breaks at the feeling that the pain and suffering throughout the world is bigger than you. I'm really not so sure. That's beautiful. You can get dressed and be out the door in ten minutes. That is beautiful. You don't wear lots of fancy jewelry, you don't have to. You don't wear a lot of makeup. Truthfully, without the freckles, it's just not you. You let your inner beauty shine. And baby, you glow. You're beautiful.
I mean this in the most literal way possible...I pity the people who shrug off friendship and relationship with you, because they don't know what they're missing. Like I said before, people don't know what to do with givers, and you are sometimes misunderstood. But I know your heart, and I'm saying it right here: You are the quintessential picture of beauty. The woman Peter talked about in his epistle and the woman of Proverbs 31. You are a walking example of Biblical womanhood, and I wish that everyone would take a lesson or two from you. You are beautiful inside and out. You're my girl, and tomorrow, on our 2,557th day of 'Us', I wish I had 2,557 rooftops to shout it from. But maybe the internet will have to suffice. Cristin, I love you...more and more each day, I am falling in love with you. You are elegant, graceful, pure beauty, and I'm so glad you're mine. Go to www.myspace.com/isawblackyousawstars to check out your new song...inspired by you choice of sleepwear a few weeks ago. I think I'll just give you my old '82 Who shirt. I'll never make it look as good as you do. Happy Anniversary.

7 comments:

Julie said...

It suffices!! My rooftop was used today and I heard the most beautiful words about my friend in making ( becasue we've decided ;) ) Words that tell of a woman I KNOW will be a perfect friend match from God! I LOVE that you two are in LOVE...it shows me that we are all still out there! Manny and I have companions in that area! Happy Anniversary to you!! May God ALWAYS be the center of your love. May you always make that LOVE a priority over the hustle and bustle of what society calls life. May you REMEMBER what God has done, is doing, will continue to do, and has promised to do in your lives!! AMEN!!!!! (now I'm off to get more tissue...snnnnifff)

Just a thought... said...

I heard it from a rooftop all the way across the country. I dont know which is more amazing...the truth of all that was written or the beauty of the way love was described. You inspire the rest of us. Congratulations and here's to 70 more!

Anonymous said...

OK I finally got a chance to stop and try to express my deepest joy in having a daughter so dearly loved by her husband, (companion, friend and lover.) John your words are always an inspiration and example to men everywhere on being a man of God who loves his wife as Jesus loves his church-bride. I know there are many out there who have and do love like that, but your words could be published and used to touch and express, both to and from others, everywhere! Your father-in-law, once again cautions you about publicly embarrassing other husbands with these endearing words that make all women swoon. LOL I want this kind of love for your sisters...pray for them, that they strive to have that love relationship with the Lord first and allow God to bring their life partner especially hand-picked for them alone. Love, Mom

Lindsey said...

How, well, beautiful! So happy for you two and for all who have the pleasure of knowing you! :)

shannon dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shannon dawn said...

my mom just cried.. a lot..
you are so inspiring John and the love that you two share is encouraging and beautiful! Thank you for being a perfect example for me you two! I love you both dearly! Happy anniversary!!

Nikki said...

Wow!!! Christine this makes me want to know you more and to have a husband who loves me as much and yours loves you. Miss you girl :)