This is the year that John and I have decided we need to begin creating traditions. Things we do as a family that will be remembered and hopefully carried on, things they will look foward to doing every year! We have really been working on trying to start some genuine, fun, and heartfelt traditions that dont have anything do with getting but more about giving. Understanding the real reason and understanding whats really going on in the rest of the world. Also ones that are just plain fun! Since this is kind of an online journal i thought it might be fun for the boys to look back and see when we started certain traditions!
Im sure many will change thru the years but here are a few we've decided to start...
1) Writing a christmas card everyday to a friend. (We have failed miserably on this one but we might do better next year)
2) They got to go to the mall and purchase a gift for their brother (under $10)...they are "supposed" to keep it a secret (so far so good) Then on Christmas Eve they get to open the gift from their brother! I am really looking forward to this one!
3) We also got to purchase a gift for a child at "The Giving Tree" at the mall...we are really trying to get them excited about the idea of GIVING rather than RECEIVING. Caleb was not a super big fan about buying a gift for his brother then for another kid and walking out with nothing! Its a process:)
4) We will be going with friends and family to see "Christmas Tree Lane" for the second year in a row! Always fun!
5) They worked on gifts for the friends and family and were able to pass them out which was really fun to work on!
6) For the past 3 years daddy sits down before bed Christmas eve and tells the story of Mary, Joseph, Jesus, the shepards, the wise men, the camels...its really sweet. I've recorded it every year and I am excited to see how the boys will respond this christmas.
7) Christmas Eve we are gonna try to watch the previous Christmas that we video taped. Its always fun to look back:)
8) Every year our plan is to purchase the boys one "big" gift and then we have been adding to their library by buying them each a book..mommy buys one for Jack and one for Caleb and daddy buys one for Jack and one for Caleb. That way they will have an awesome collection of quality books growing up! Plus we get to write a little note in them about the year and share how grateful we are for them!
9) This year we purchased a care package for a persecuted missionary family overseas but we have still yet to get it in the mail! so we'll see how that plays out. But it sounded like a super cool idea:)
10) Our hope is to go to the nursing home every Christmas, pass out Christmas cards and just spread some Jesus Cheer!
11) Make muddy buddies and popcorn balls
12) Watch our classic Christmas movie collection throughout the month!
13) picking a Christmas card that we received that month out of the basket at dinner and praying over that family!
MY LIST COULD GO ON! I LOVE TRADITIONS AND i LOVE MAKING MEMORIES! I HOPE MY BOYS WILL LOVE IT AS MUCH AS I DO CAUSE IF NOT...IM GONNA BE THAT REALLY OBNOXIOUS MOMMA IN HER APRON MAKIN FUDGE AND FORCING EVERYONE TO SIT DOWN AND BE JOLLY DARN IT!!
4 comments:
It is posts like this that my heart just bursts in praise for what God is doing in your lives. All of those are wonderful traditions! I am so curious as to what a muddy buddy is. ???
Love it all!
Sounds like some great traditions!!
haha I just saw this post. I love it. So awesome. I love the christmas card idea and praying over a fam!
Post a Comment